Edinburgh, UK · +44732 432 694 · firstname.lastname@example.org
latentflip.com · github.com/latentflip · twitter.com/philip_roberts
Web Application Developer
I love understanding people’s problems and finding ways to solve them, which is why I’ve been building web applications like floatapp.com and talky.io for 8 years.
I care deeply about the people I work with. I bring empathy and strong communication to teams, and strive to learn and teach as much as I can.
Frontend Lead, Surevine, Remote, (Jan 2017—Nov 2017)
- Led rapid development of a secure communications platform for government and large enterprises - from concept to working software and customer trials.
- Responsible for all aspects of frontend architecture and development, including business focussed trade-offs around technology, features, quality and test strategy.
- Mentored and paired with team members to help them learn new technologies and ship features.
- Validated customer problems and found user-focussed solutions by working directly with customers, product and sales teams.
- Expanded my responsibilities as required to help a small team ship: built backend functionality, and implemented development and continuous-integration workflows to review, test and deploy code into AWS.
Frontend Lead (in addition to dev role), &yet, Remote, (May 2015—Nov 2016)
- Oversaw organisational change of our frontend stack (to React.js + Redux). This required understanding and managing the needs of the company, developers and clients, and planning, communicating and architecting the change.
- Mentored, paired and reviewed work across the frontend and design teams.
- Co-designed and built Talky Core (an internal WebRTC UI library) to help ship video-chat projects for our clients more quickly and enable new business partnerships.
Frontend/node.js Developer, &yet, Remote, (Nov 2013—May 2015)
- Delighted clients on a range of realtime web applications projects. Rapid development of new products, adding realtime features to existing products, code and architecture review of existing codebases.
- Owned technical relationship with clients to understand their needs and prioritise work, and provided well documented clear code to their internal teams.
- Core member of the open-source Ampersand.js project. Responsible for project roadmaps, shipping features, release management, and communicating with the community.
- Core developer of talky.io - one of the first major browser-based video chat applications.
Co-founder/Developer/CTO, The Float Yard, Edinburgh (Mar 2010—Nov 2013)
- Co-founded Float (floatapp.com). As the sole developer took it from the first line of code to customers and revenue. The company has since raised over £600k in funding and employs 15 people.
- Responsible for all aspects of architecture, development, test strategy and deployment.
- Hired and mentored interns and junior developers.
- Also involved in pitching, fundraising, customer development, marketing, sales and support.
Design Engineer, Wolfson Microelectronics, Edinburgh, (Oct 2008—Dec 2010)
- Design and debugging of audio microchips for consumer electronics applications.
The University of Edinburgh (2004—2008)
MEng (Hons) in Electronics and Electrical Engineering - 1st Class